A milestone occurred in 1901 for Denton residents when the college they created and financially supported became a state college receiving state funding. The college became the North Texas State Normal—a college focused on training teachers, or a Teachers College as it would later be renamed. The first structure was the Normal Building, erected in 1891 at the corner of West Hickory and Avenue B. Constructed on the western edge of Denton, fences kept out loose cattle, and private boarding houses provided student housing. Normal Street’s name recognized its association with the Normal school, now UNT, as many early faculty members built homes and established the residential neighborhood during The Normal’s early years.
*A more extensive history is provided in the Historic Denton Home Tour guide with tour ticket purchase for 12/1/2018.